Tuesday, February 17, 2015

That moment when ... 2.16.2015

Okay, this week has been pretty good! We've definitely had a lot of "that moment when" moments though. :) haha.

Just to mix things up, that'll be the format of my email.

That moment when: You almost get run off the road by a car. Scary! But we were okay, luckily!

That moment when: You have a really, really good district meeting (probably the best one ever) about following the Spirit and salting things up. We talked about the small impressions that we receive and how as we follow those small promptings (like "go grab your planner, you'll need it" etc) we'll be able to recognize the bigger ones. With salting things up, we talked about asking good questions and helping to add some flavor to our conversations with people. Loved it.



That moment when: An 8 year old tells you that you pronounce "Satan" wrong. I pronounced it like a Utahn (like Sa'an) and she said in a very sassy voice, "It's pronounced Satan." Haha. I died.

Okay, I'm tired of that moment when....

Anyway, Tuesday night we had a relief society activity in 7th ward. We were talking about Family History. I've totally got the family history bug! So cool. They have that new descendancy view thing on familysearch.org. Totally cool! Love it.

Wednesday, we rode our bikes for literally 45 minutes to get to an appointment. We made it though. Whew. It was with JE and CI. Unfortunately, when we got there, they had thought our appointment was for the next night and they were about to leave. Fortunately, CI invited us in anyway and we were able to have a good discussion with them. We talked about faith. CI asked, "what is faith anyway?" and so we were able to talk about it. She is still very intent on taking the lessons and is looking forward to us coming this week. Sister Weichers and I were talking on Sunday, so we committed them to come to church! Unfortunately, CI's back was hurting her, so she didn't come. Oh, Satan works so hard on people. It makes me so mad sometimes.

Thursday we had a cool experience. We needed a ride to some lessons, and we couldn't get a hold of anyone. I was getting really frustrated because we were trying SO HARD to get a ride and still couldn't find anyone. Finally we ended up contacting LI. She's super cool. So as we were driving, I asked her how work has been. She responded and said that she's been having a lot of stress. We were able to talk to her and show our love and support for her. We told her that she could call us whenever she needed someone to talk to, and she said, "well that's not missionary work." We definitely disagreed with that though! Our purpose is to invite people to come unto Christ through FAITH.... So later that night we had a free hour, so we took one of the young women from the ward, cut out paper hearts, wrote our favorite comforting scriptures on them, and heart attacked her door! It was good.

Friday: TRADE DAYS. Holy cow, most exhausting/wonderful thing ever. Trade Days is like a big old flea market/swap meet thingy. So awesome. The Stake had a Family Search/History booth thing that we were able to run. We were there for 4 hours on Friday and made 345 contacts! Woot! it was awesome. Then on Saturday we went back for only 2 hours this time and made 500+ contacts. It was good. Interesting thing though, people are NOT really interested in family history. Most say, "I already know too much about my family." It made me really sad. I guess that we as members just have different perspective on families and death, and I am so grateful for that.

We started meeting with a new family. They have a 9 year old who wants to get baptized. So that will be fun to help them!

Sunday night was also good. We had a little lesson/get-together with DI and CH and some members of the ward. It was really good for CH to get to know some of the guys in the ward. We watched "The Hope of God's Light" Mormon message, and it was just a good time.

I love McKinney. I still don't feel like I have a clue what's going on, but it's all good. We will get it figured out soon.  I feel like I may just been a foundation layer for future sisters here, but I am okay with that. I've definitely been more of a seed planter on my mission than a harvester. It's all important though.

I love the gospel. I love the Jesus Christ. I love the Atonement. I've prayed more fervently and sincerely this week than ever before to have the spiritual and physical capacities for the work that I get to do.

I love y'all!

Love,
Sister Gilbert

p.s.
I'm glad baby Hannah got to come home! yay!

Most recent laughing: we literally laugh like all day long....but the biggest thing would probably be us sitting on the counters of the kitchen at the church eating lunch between wards and having members come in and just give us weird looks. Hahah. Like, sorry, we gotta eat sometime. 

My favorite person this week: a little 5 year old named Doug. Literally the cutest boy ever and most loving. We ate dinner with his family, and oh he was just so sweet. Never have I met a kid whose name and personality fit together so well. Cutest little guy.



No comments: