Saturday, April 4, 2015

If You Believe In Heavenly Father, Raise Your Hand 3.30.2015

Wow!! It has been a week to remember, that's for sure! 

So, Brother Donaldson (the head of proselyting in the Missionary Department) and Brother Jarman (the director of MTC teachers) came and visited us!! They talked all about the Doctrine of Christ, how to make planning more effective, and last but not least, they trained us in this WONDERFUL way to teach the Restoration really powerfully! We use the pamphlets (ps check out the app LDS Pamphlets) and can teach it in about 7 minutes!!! So awesome!! It was seriously my favorite meeting that I've been to on my whole mission!! Plus I got to see a few of my missionary friends who I haven't seen in a while. I'm not entirely sure why  I got invited to that meeting, but I do know that it has rekindled the fire of missionary work in my, and that I have the tools to be an even more effective missionary!!! So awesome. It was kinda neat, because I had been taught some of the principles and applications at the MTC, but had forgotten them over the 9 months of being in the field. GOOD REMINDERS FOR SURE.

I'll just highlight some of my favorite things from the meeting: 
  • The way that we come to know Christ is through making and keeping covenants.
  • You can feel the Savior's love and Atonement before you are baptized, but you can't access the redeeming, enabling, exalting power of the Atonement until after baptism. It's like the Holy Ghost; we can feel the influence, but we are granted the GIFT after we have made covenants. 
  • My purpose as a missionary is to connect people to heaven.
  • The missionary lessons could be summarized into the following: Revelation, The Atonement, and the Way. (Restoration, Plan of Salvation, Gospel of Jesus Christ)
  • The more you understand the doctrine of Christ, the more it will change you and cause you to want to share it.
  • The people we meet and teach were all members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Premortal-day Saints. Help them connect with Heaven, and they will remember. 
  • Also, the First Vision directly coincides with Lehi's family. Visions and truth, persecutions, a new book, obtaining a record of scripture, and leaving an old life for a better. So neat!

So following this amazing training on Thursday, we had an amazing experience on Saturday! We had a media referral for someone name JO asking for a bible. So we went to his house and gave him the Bible. We then asked him if we could share a message with him about how much God loves him and wants him to find truth and happiness in his life. We then taught him the Restoration using the pamphlet in about 10 minutes. We invited him to be baptized which he gladly accepted! We then committed him to May 9 and to come to church and read the Book of Mormon. All within about a 20 minute time frame. We arranged a ride for him coordinating through our ward council. We were texting him to confirm and he told us that he was so excited to come to church and be surrounded by more godly people. Well, he came to church yesterday! He enjoyed sacrament meeting and the ward was so welcoming to him! My testimony continues to be strengthened that the Lord truly prepares people! I have great love for JO! He texted us this morning and said, "By the way, I believe we have met before, I just don't know where, but maybe you can figure it out better than I can." I had the spirit witness to me that Sister Weichers and I did know JO before this life in the spirit world! What a tender experience!

Also, with the new initiative out for Easter, the #BecauseHeLives, we went out on Saturday morning before our set appointments. Within 15 minutes of being outside, we talked a guy named JE taught a few concepts, prayed, and set a return appointment. BOOM. New investigator! Wow, I'm telling you, the Lord is preparing his children!

The weather is beautiful here. On Saturday we went down to a big-o lake/pond thing to read The Book of Mormon with a less-active. It was such a tender mercy for me to be able to be outside for a little while and just enjoy the nice weather and the scriptures. 

My favorite quote from church yesterday: a little 5 year old bearing his testimony. "If you believe in Heavenly Father, raise your hand. Looks like all of you. Then you know it's good for your soul." Oh I died it was so cute. :)

My testimony echoes his though. I know that this gospel is good for our souls. It's actually essential. :) How grateful I am for it! I know God lives. I know He loves us. Because He Lives, I too can live.

Much love,
Sister Gretchen Gilbert

No comments: