Tuesday, April 28, 2015

A Good Week in McKinney! 4.27.2015



Hello, hello!

Another good week in McKinney! First and foremost, Sister Weichers and I are staying together for another transfer! Party! Oh, we are so happy! What a blessing to get to serve in this wonderful area with this wonderful companion for another 6 weeks! 
Happy 10 months!
An update on BE! He is home from the hospital and is recovering well! He's going to be having a lot of free time due to his 6 month recovery, so we challenged him to start reading the Book of Mormon. He readily agreed, so we are excited about that! 

Wednesday we got this little black box in our car. It's called a Tiwi, and it tracks our driving and stuff. We lovingly call it Kevin. Anyway, we got to go to a meeting and get spiritually fed once again. I always love seeing Sister Taylor and my other missionary friends. 

I learned/was reminded that the Holy Ghost directs, instructs, and corrects. The Holy Ghost will give us little course corrections necessary to keep us on the covenant path. Heavenly Father expects us to take steps forward, but he won't let us go wrong. He'll always let us know and give us corrections or directions to keep us on track.

So I've been having this perfection complex on my mission. Like, I know that I'm doing good things, but I have so far to reach who I want to be. It can actually be a little debilitating at times, but I've rediscovered some really good scriptures this week that have really helped. And I did some "likening" with it as well. 
Ether 12:23-27
23 And I said unto him: Lord, the Texans will mock at these things, because of my weakness in [contacting, teaching, etc]; for Lord thou hast made me mighty in [testimony, conversion, etc] by faith, but thou hast not made me mighty in [contacting, etc]...
 24 And thou hast made me that I could [contact, teach, etc] but little,because of my awkwardness.Behold, thou hast not made me mighty in [contacting, teaching, etc] like unto the [amazing missionaries who I am comparing myself with],...
 25 ....Wherefore, when I [contact, teach, etc] I behold my weakness, and stumble because of the placing of my words; and I fear lest the Gentiles shall mock at my words.
 26 And when I had said this, the Lord spake unto me,saying: Fools mock, but they shall mourn; and my grace is sufficient for the meek, that they shall take no advantage of your weakness;
27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

Loved it. I've learned a lot about trust. In Relief Society yesterday, someone said, Let it go, and let God. I really liked it. Someone also said, Don't let the small imperfections blur your vision from the progress that you're making. 

I'm so grateful that we have this time on earth to progress and become better. No, I'm not perfect, but I'm trying. And that's a good start. 

Good news! SU passed her baptismal interview and is all set to get baptized this Saturday! I'm so excited for that sweet girl! 

At church yesterday we got to teach Sunday School for the 16-18 yr olds in one ward, and Priests' quorum in the other ward. We got to teach the Restoration in both classes and I realized how grateful I am that I get to testify of the restoration every. single. day. It's the best. 

Bishop and Sister Hook selfie
One funny story: after a very scant dinner yesterday, we were both really hungry. We would normally just go to the store and buy food. But it was Sunday. So we called our Bishop's wife and she made chocolate chip waffles for us. BLESSINGS. Waffles are blessings.

We ended the week with a very sweet lesson. A family in our ward had some of their non-member friends visiting from out of state and they came to church with them. Sister Weichers and I were speaking in sacrament, so that was nice, and they came to Sunday school where we talked about the creation and God's love for us. Sunday evening, we went to their house, answered some questions, and showed the 20 minute Restoration. The Spirit was so strong. Then the members in our ward shared their testimonies of the Book of Mormon and the dad then invited their friends to read and pray about the Book of Mormon. The invitation was about a million times more powerful coming from the member to their friends! They agreed to do so. I am so grateful for wonderful members.

I love this gospel. I love this work. I love each of you!!

Love,
Sister Gilbert

No comments: