Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The coolest (literally) week ever! - 7.21.2014

Hi all! or Hey y'all! Whatever you please.

The weather this week has been AMAZING!!!! 72 degrees is what it is all about! Ha. It is so wonderful to be here when it is nice and overcast and cool. I am a happy camper. :) It POURED on our planning day (Thursday) which is the day that we generally stay inside all day. It was nice. The weather made people very friendly and willing to talk.



On Monday we had two miracles.
1st: I said, "I really want some salsa, but we already went to the store today, and also we have to go to an appointment." I was a little sad, but I was looking through the cupboard and what did I find?? SALSA. Holler. It sounds so simple, but honestly it was like the best thing.

2nd: We were running to the gate to meet a member for a ride and we ran into this lady. We asked her if we could give her a pass-along card, but she said she was already a member! We talked to her for a minute and found out she is one of the less-actives that our Ward Council had asked us to go visit. So we scheduled an appointment to go see her later that evening. A sister in the ward was able to come with us, and we got to know her and share Joshua 1:9 with her. She works on Sundays thus her inactivity, but her job is ending soon. We are praying that she will be able to find a job that will allow her to attend church!

On Tuesday we were out tracting (my favorite) and knocked a door. He started feeding us all this anti-Mormon information. I was a little shocked that he would just stand there and yell at us and try to explain to us what we believed. I was able to remain calm and cool and a bear testimony of the truths that I know. I honestly felt like having that experience strengthened my testimony because the Spirit really testified to me of the precious truths that I already know. Another interesting thing was he asked if I read the bible. I said yes and he asked me to prove it. So he started quoting John 1:1 and wanted me to finish it. I was perfectly able to. In the beginning was . . . The Word! I haven't read that scripture very many times, but the Spirit truly will bring all things to our remembrance if we allow it to.

To answer your question, B* is not a member. She is a Baptist, but she is now one of our investigators! We taught her the Restoration and we are going back tomorrow to teach her about the Plan of Salvation. It should be a good lesson because her husband passed away a year ago and she asked us what we believe happens after this life.

Also, I just bike all the days. Seriously though. There was this HUGE hill that honestly seemed impossible to climb. But I just stood up and pedaled like crazy and sang Let Us All Press On and made it up that darn hill. Ha. I was tuckered. Let alone ridiculous looking, but I made it. As did Sister Aumua.

On Wednesday we were tracting, again. We walked up to this car to talk to a lady, but right as we got near her, she drove away. It was so funny. We were just awkwardly standing there in the middle of the road. That night we had dinner with members, the Whites. It was delicious! Zucchini and bacon quiche and tomato and mozzarella salad!! I was the happiest little missionary ever. It was so wonderful and felt like home.


We got home that night, and our sweet member friend Casey had heart attacked our door with the kids she tends, the Arnette's. It was so nice!! It honestly made my day!


We met with J*, our investigator twice this week. We were preparing a lesson about baptism and confirmation but were having the HARDEST time trying to figure out what to teach. We ended up praying and totally changing the lesson around. We showed him the Restoration video in Portuguese (because he's from Brazil. I don't remember what I told you about him). The Spirit was SO strong. We asked him how he felt about the video and he boldly stated, "I'm a lot like Joseph Smith. I am searching for truth." That was such a powerful moment!

Friday I was able to attend the temple with some members in the ward. Sister Collins and Sister Bakker. The pictures were from Sister Collins. Then they took us to Mimi's café. I haven't been there in like 10 years, but do you remember how we waited for like an hour for our food to come out? Yeah, the same thing happened. The waitress forgot about us. Lame-o.

At dinner on Friday at a members home, we had chicken and waffles! I feel like I have fully experienced Texas now. (Sort of. Haha.) The chicken was covered with a ton of cayenne pepper, but it was still yummy. Very interesting. Y'all will have to try it out sometime.

During companion study the other day, we were role-playing extending baptismal invitations. I was being the investigator. I was so tired and Sister Aumua and I were both in a really weird mood, so I said that my name was Katniss. Sister A extended the invitation and I replied, but I was totally rocking a Southern Drawl! I guess you probably had to have been there, but we were rolling. It was so funny.

Bad news: I rolled my ankle yesterday. On a little sidewalk. It just like rolled off and is swollen. I'm going to be okay though. I've been icing it and we took yesterday super easy. The little booger though. Can't I just have a good ankle for once in my life?

Good news: We are going to the ZOO today!!! We are going to ride the train down there and have a blast!! :) I am so excited. And Sister Taylor (President Taylor's wife) is going to meet us there! What a grand day out!

Yesterday while tracting we were talking to this lady. She didn't want to talk about the gospel but she roped us in and we were literally stuck on her couch for like 40 minutes. And she hardly talked about anything. She was just speaking about nothing. Oh, and she said "ya know" probably 200 times the whole time we were there. I should've counted, but holy tolito I couldn't focus on anything she was saying. You live and learn I guess, but goodness gracious.

At church, we were able to go to Young Women's for 3rd hour. I haven't recited the theme in a LONG time. It really stood out to me this time.

We believe as we come to accept and act upon these values, we will be prepared to strengthen home and family, make and keep sacred covenants, receive the ordinances of the temple, and enjoy the blessings of exaltation.

That is a powerful promise!!!! Everyone should take this into account! It's all laid out, ready for us to act in faith.

Mom, could you send me those 5k workouts? I try to run for my exercise, but I like to mix it up. That would be wonderful.

I am so glad you are doing well. It sounds like y'all had a ton of fun with the Nevada Gilberts.

Helaman 3:35. This is a good scripture. Maybe try to study it as a family. Also, look at all the footnotes.

I love you so much!
Sister G

No comments: