Monday, December 29, 2014

12.22.2014

So we had our Christmas/Transfer meeting in Dallas on Tuesday! Holy cow, it is just so wonderful to be gathered will all the other missionaries! I just love them dearly. It was hard to say goodbye to all my missionary friends who went home, but the meeting was great. We got to watch Charlie Brown's Christmas and also the Angels From the Realms of Glory by the Piano Guys with David Archuleta! That was a highlight. We then just had a musical devotional where a bunch of missionaries shared their Christmas musical talents. So great. We did have to wake up at 3:45 am to be able to make it to Dallas on time, but it was well worth it! Also, I saw a wild hog dash across the road on our way home. Super cool! I love East Texas!

Wednesday we had the most wonderful lesson with TO again. He taught us about faith and did a fantastic job! He definitely knows way more about the gospel than he lets on to. We then had a wonderful discussion about our gifts and talents and how we can overcome our weaknesses. It's amazing to see how less-actives and investigators can answer questions to your prayers. It's definitely a "learning together" sort of experience. We strengthen them and they strengthen us. Love it. The 3rd ward had a baptism that we were able to attend, and oh it was just a wonderful day.

Thursday: we ran into RA at the gas station when we were taking a quick break. She had been having a really bad day, so it meant a lot to be able to run into here. I definitely know that it was NOT a coincidence we were there.

Friday was the roughest day. Everything just was not not not working out. But we did have a couple of good things. We were able to contact down in Big Sandy for a while, and we were able to meet the Millers' son, who just got home from his mission in Nevada. I love that missionary spirit! It's wonderful. Also, at our dinner appointment that night, they brought out this HUGE HUGE HUGE Italian Cream cake. So we were eating it and it was pretty good. Then they told us that they found it on the side of road! WHAT? He went on to explain that it was still all wrapped up and packaged, frozen solid, and sitting on dry ice, but just laying there. SO funny! So, needless to say, we ate roadkill cake.

Saturday was great! Do y'all remember me telling you about RI? Well, we had another fantastic lesson with him. He told us about a very spiritual experience he had at a football game, and that he truly felt like God was telling him to be more loving. He told us with tears in his eyes that he loved us and cares for us. It was seriously just the nicest thing. Then we answered a bunch of questions that he had about the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. They were all very earnest questions, and he wasn't trying to cross us, but he just wanted to know. Then we talked briefly about faith, repentance, and baptism. He told us that he didn't want to get baptized just to join a church. He said that he's only a member of Christ's church, and any other church isn't worth it. We were able to bear testimony that our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church again on the earth and that it is operated and functions the same as Christ's church. It was a very very spiritual moment for me, and while I was testifying, I felt the spirit testify to me that my words were true. RI then said, "It may take me a while, but how long are you willing to continue meeting with me? I'm not naive to what your purpose is (I think he meant like baptism....) but I want to continue meeting with you." And the prayer that he prayed was softer and different. It is just amazing to see how the Lord is preparing people and softening hearts. On top of that, RI doesn't have any problems with drinking or smoking or any of that, so that makes a big difference. Oh, I am just excited to see how things pan out.

Sunday was also good. The members here are so loving and we truly got spoiled and gifted out! All I want for Christmas is to skype with my family, but the love that I have received here in Gilmer is amazing. Oh I just love it here.

Well, that's about it! But I want to bear my testimony, that I KNOW God lives and that He loves us. I want to second my testimony to that of the apostles given in The Living Christ. "His way truly is the way to happiness in this life and eternal life in the world to come. God be thanked for the matchless gift of His divine Son!"

I love y'all so much! Have a blessed week and a very Merry Christmas!

Love,
Sister Gretchen Gilbert

No comments: